Just to get your ideas going, this is a list of 10 things you can put in a vase besides flower bouquets:
Sticks. This may sound dirty, but it can actually be stunning look. Sticks can be spray-painted any color to match the color scheme of the reception. Additionally, large stick arrangements can be adorned with crystals, fabric etc if you want to jazz them up a little.
- Stones. Little glass stones come in every color imaginable and are cheap as dirt. A few colored stones in the bottom of a vase of water can have a dramatic effect as the colors are reflected through the water.
- Fruit. Fruit comes in a large variety of shapes and colors. You can have slices of fruit or whole fruit. Or you can have fruit dipped in chocolate that your guests can eat!
- Petals. Filling a vase with fresh flower petals or even dried flower petals will give you a little more bang for your buck if you are going to pay for flowers.
- Water. This may seem like a simple idea, but water is a beautiful decoration. Light is reflected and the reflection can dance on the table as the water moves. Do not discount the organic beauty of this natural element.
- Fish. Obviously this would have to be combined with item 6 to get the right effect! Adding life to a decoration is always a winning idea.
- Candles. You can get floating candles in every shape and size! You can get scented candles, candles shaped like butterflies, pillar candles etc. So no matter what size vase you are using, you are sure to find a candle to fit.
- Shells. Another natural thing that can add a lot of beauty to a wedding reception.
- Lights. Placing small colored LED lights at the bottom of a vase is a very dramatic look.
- Candy. Candy can be very pretty and delicious too!
Hopefully this will get you going on ideas. Do not discount anything that can be put in a vase and used as a wedding centerpiece!